Monday, May 9, 2011

Favorites

I pulled out my Moleskin last night and made a list. One is of what I would like to get, which is for the most part on hold until the transformation of my body works itself out. I think this enforced holding pattern is good, though, because it forces me to really consider my purchases.

The other list I wrote is of my current favorite items of clothing.


From left:
1. Rose-print sundress. Free People. I bought it years ago because I adored the print, even though the only one left was two sizes larger than my usual. Surprisingly, I prefer it for its looseness.

2. Wayfarer dress. Rachel Comey. My first tiny splurge on what would become my favorite designer. It doesn't look like much, but the little details make it special.

3. Striped t-shirt dress. APC. Again, a few sizes too big, but affording the perfect slouch. I feel completely at ease in this dress. The drape of the cotton keeps it from being too boxy.

4. Navy woven shirtdress with maroon buttons. Vintage. It's completely demure, but for that reason it works. A classic.

5. Knit cardigan. Vintage ("Handknit by Sis Lee"). The shoulders create a subtle cocooning. I didn't think I would like this as much as I do, but the color goes with a lot of my things.

6. Patterned brown button-down. Vintage. The ruffles and the shimmer of the pattern are unobtrusively feminine. I wear this with the sleeves rolled up whenever I want to be a little formal but still comfortable.

7.  Flowery blue button-down. Vintage, handmade. It's slightly sheer, cool, and crisp.

8. Plaid button-down. Vintage, handmade. This seems to me like the perfect vintage plaid.

9. Striped boatneck top. Rachel Comey. Another unexpected favorite. I had added it to my order just to get free shipping. One of the few fitted things I like.

10. Chambray skirt. Vintage. I love white tees and chambray skirts in the summer.

11. Accessories. Heart tote, Anthropologie. Denim bag, Paul & Joe Sister. Polka-dot scarf, J. Crew.

Generally, I haven't posted my actual clothes before because they just don't have the snap and cool-factor that I see in so many other blogs. In fact, looking at this collection of my favorites, I can see why a student once told me that my style was "granola chic." Sigh. I'd still rather approximate the clean and sharp look that I see elsewhere, but this is my skin, I suppose, and I feel most comfortable in this style. They reflect the layers of my history. There's the thread of hippie-ness from my years in Austin, the grunge of the 90s, my love of vintage and thrift, the warm climes I'm used to, and the oversized clothes I got used to wearing when even the smallest sizes hung off me (definitely not the case anymore!).

The other thing the list made me realize was that I collect an excess of clothes when I can't get just the right thing. Shoes, skirts, and jeans make up the bulk of my wardrobe, but few of those things show up on a list of favorites. So now I can see why it's important to find the exactly perfect item. It saves you from going through endless versions in search of it.

3 comments:

  1. This is the first time I'm commenting on your blog...and just wanted to say I always look forward to your occasional, but always thoughtful posts.

    I had been reading a couple of posts about personal style blogs on No Signposts in the Sea, you might enjoy them - http://nosignposts.blogspot.com/2011/04/on-personal-style-blogging-and-our.html

    I don't think there are are outfits that aren't snap worthy...I think if they are relevant to whatever subject you're blogging about, why not? I always look forward to such posts because I find clothing on real people much more interesting than in a magazine, because I like things in a context, a human touch. I like your descriptions of your clothes here, it makes them really special, more than just another dress or top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a coincidence! I've just discovered your blog through another blog's links and added you to my reader.

    I think I still enjoy the aspirational aspect of fashion, perhaps too much, so when I think about putting my outfits up in the blogosphere next to the ones I admire, I realize how far short they are.

    Also, I rather hate the "third eye" that you must develop to do Fashion properly. You have to be able to look at yourself objectively, to assess yourself. I'm not sure I want to go down this road.

    Also, I'm not sure I'm ready to break that barrier.

    But thank you for the comment. It's food for thought. Perhaps one day I'll gather up my gumption, or at least do a post about my reservations. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mean, the barrier on the internet. It's another level of divulgence entirely to post pics with your actual self.

    ReplyDelete